Saturday, November 3, 2012

How to setup the PocketWizard MiniTT1/FlexTT5 to trigger manually

I have multiple Canon cameras that I use for different purposes including G11/G12, Canon 30D, 5D MKII and now the 1Dx.  Although the MiniTT1/FlexTT5 work well on the 30D and 5D MKII in ETTL mode, they will not work with the G11/12 cameras and as of to-date a driver update for the 1Dx has not yet been released (Nov 3, 2012).

Prior to getting the 1Dx, I was continuously frustrated with not being able to get the triggers to work in manual mode on the G11/12 cameras.  This wasn’t a huge issue as I normally used my 5D MKII, but that changed when I received my 1Dx and subsequently found that the triggers wouldn’t work with the 1Dx.

Although I didn’t have a business need to use the triggers with my new 1Dx, I wanted to be able to manually trigger my flashes so that I could make the most out of my 1Dx and became determined to find out how to set the triggers up to do this.

After a lot of research on the internet, a lot of frustration (especially with PocketWizard’s own DIY videos about how to set it up, which didn’t work) and a lot of messing around I was finally able to get it working. Finally I am able to use the triggers with all of my cameras in manual trigger mode as well as using them in their normal ETTL mode with my 5D MK II and 30D.

Following the same procedure below will allow you to setup your triggers to use both ETTL mode and Trigger mode.  The instructions below setup the triggers with the C1 setting as ETTL and the C2 setting as Manual Trigger.

After running the PocketWizard utility you will see the following screen (if you have the latest drivers)


As we’re going to use the C2 configuration to setup the manual trigger select the “Configuration C2” button


After going to the screen below click on the “Misc” button


Then click on the “Basic Trigger” checkbox.


After the checkbox shows it’s been selected click the “Apply Changes” button to save the changes to the trigger.


In the following dialog box click “Yes” to confirm the changes.


Once the changes have been made, click the “Channel” button and take note of the “Standard Transmit Channel” number, which in this case is “Standard Transmit Channel 2” (the red dotted line).


If you need to change channels then remember to “Apply Changes” again to save the changes.

Once this is complete you can disconnect the MiniTT1. This is where my problems had previously started, as all the other literature on the web and even on PocketWizard’s own site they say that you only have to setup the trigger to manual and the receivers will still work. However this is not the case.

To make this work you need to setup the FlexTT5 trigger/receiver also. Plug in the FlexTT5 and you will get the following screen.


As before click on the “Configuration 2” button


and then on the “Misc” button.


then click the “Basic Trigger” checkbox.


After the checkbox shows it’s been selected click the “Apply Changes” button to save the changes to the trigger.


In the following dialog box click “Yes” to confirm the changes.


Once the changes have been made, click the “Channel” button


Now make sure that the “Standard Receive Channel” number is set to the same number that you had for your transmitter, which in this case is “Standard Receive Channel 2” (the red dotted line).


If you need to change channels then remember to “Apply Changes” again to save the changes.

Now you should be ready to use both triggers on C2 that will act as a basic trigger. Remember to make the same changes to all the PocketWizard FlexTT5s you have so that they can all work together using the basic trigger setting.

Please let me know if this article was useful and if you have any updates which I am not aware of by sending me an email at emmett.photography@gmail.com.

This article is available for download in printable form in both A4 Size and Letter Size